Things I have survived this summer
I can't believe that I have seen some really gross/bloody/yucky/cool medical things this summer and have not passed out yet! Go me! So far no vomit---let's hope I don't jinx myself here!
Just a few.....
-Enema in the ER on an almost 4-yr old that wasn't potty trained--yuck! (we actually had 2 enema patients in 1 day--but thankfully I wasn't there for the 2nd one!)
-Surgery to remove and replace a port in a little girl's chest (to access blood, administer meds, etc)
-Bone marrow aspiration/biopsy
-Lots of IV sticks and blood draws
-Lumbar puncture
-Dressing change on an open surgery wound in a child's abdomen
-Stitches and Dermabond for cuts/lacerations (several of these in the ER)
-EEG (to monitor brain activity for seizures, etc)..this is not that gross, but smells really bad when they put the glue and electrodes on the head
-Breathing treatments
Maybe watching ER back in the day and Grey's Anatomy now has paid off hehe ;)
Posted in: child life, internship on Tuesday, August 4, 2009 at at 4:23 PM

