Awful movers
Attention:
Do NOT ever, I mean NEVER, use DeHaven's Transfer & Storage moving company that is associated with North American Van Lines in North Carolina. This is the absolute worst moving experience I have ever had with a moving company.
I had agreed with the company that my belongings would be delivered safely to Amarillo by Oct 26 or 27 in ONE load. This has been drastically changed to where half of my possessions will arrive on Oct 27. I was not notified of this change until the movers arrived at my house to load my things. I have to WAIT a full WEEK to receive the second half of my load on Nov 2 or 3. This was not in the agreed estimate. This change was due to their lack of planning with another mover who went over their estimated weight limit and took the space that was supposed to be mine in the truck.
Update: My first load arrived successfully on Tuesday, Oct 27. I received most of my kitchen things, my bed, and dining table. The movers agreed to deliver my 2nd load on Monday, Nov 2 (um today!). Now they are telling me it will not be until Nov 3 after 5:30pm. Ugh! Not to mention the driver didn't even bother to call me and let me know this---I had to call the company and get his number to contact him directly. Very unprofessional and terrible customer service!
(For those of you not familiar with this type of moving company, they load several people's things onto one huge truck that is heading in the same direction. Each load is estimated in advance for weight. I was actually under my estimated weight, while the other customer went over their weight estimate. However, my load was the one that has been divided and I am the one who is inconvenienced.)
This type of move costs over $2000. DeHaven's is only offering me $180 discount for my inconvenience. This does not even seem fair! I have contacted the company headquarters in Durham and they seem to be more on top of things to make this up to me. Hopefully there will be a better end to this story. They can make it up to me by delivering my things safely and quickly.
FINAL UPDATE: I got the rest of my things delivered a day late on Tuesday this week. All is ok. Just lost a shoe rack--so not too terrible. Just some minor scratches and damages on some furniture, but nothing awful. I'm just glad to have all of my things in one place again! I'll be moving myself next time with a trusty yellow Penske truck :)
Posted in: on Thursday, October 22, 2009 at at 3:42 PM

