Goodbye NICU, Hello OR
My last week in the NICU was rather slow, but still good. I continued massaging babies, mainly working with the same kiddos everyday, which was cool to see the difference in them each day. I was sad to leave on Friday, even though I was also excited about the next rotation. The NICU is not without drama like the rest of healthcare. There are just some parents that shouldn't have children---that's all I'll say about that :)
Today I began my first day in my OR rotation. I got to ease into the early morning by getting there at 6:30am (instead of 6am). It will be interesting to see the what my role will be like here with kids of all ages dealing with pre-surgery fears and anesthesia/waking up from surgery fears. Today there were just 4 dental restorations of kids 3-6 years old. Apparently this is a very common procedure done in the outpatient OR, in addition to tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy, ear tubes, endoscopy/colonoscopy, etc.
Again I am learning that you see people of all sorts in healthcare. While the kids are always cute, the parents are not always so cute. This morning one mom asked where she could get something to eat and if we could give her a free meal ticket (even though her son was NPO--nothing to eat--until surgery), and the grandmother could only think about when she could have her next cigarette. All the while, the little kid was playing before his surgery on an empty stomach. Craziness. However, there was a normal family that was very supportive and loving toward their child---instead of being worried about food or smoking ha.
In other news...I'm dogsitting this week for Max, the wimpiest chocolate lab. I have to dogsit/stay at their house with him because he gets abused by the other dogs when he stays at the kennel. Pitiful. He is really sweet and lazy, just a big wimp!
I'm also getting ready for my first bridesmaid experience in my best friend Lucy's wedding this weekend. The dress is ready, the shoes are ready.....just have to pack and get some last minute items before leaving town on Thursday. I'm excited because it should be a beautiful wedding, and really fun reception ;)
This will be a busy week with dogsitting, babysitting, work, and getting ready for the wedding. I'll definitely post pics from the wedding next week and share more hospital stories :)
Posted in: child life, internship, weddings on Monday, June 8, 2009 at at 9:09 PM

