Change of plans

Since I was not able to go on the previously mentioned New Orleans mission trip this weekend due to stupid Hurricane Gustav....my friends and I are determined to have a fun Labor Day weekend!

Today we are headed up to Winston-Salem/Old Salem for a day trip. Our main incentive for going---the Moravian bakery with delicious cookies and other tasty sinful desserts like sugar bread. We'll miss watching the LSU/App game--but none of us are really too concerned about this haha (Geaux Tigers just for good measure since my roommate is an Appalachian alumni). And we'll get to avoid the crazy crowds at the VA Tech/ECU game in uptown Charlotte at the Panther's stadium.

Tomorrow/Sunday I am going to host a Louisiana dinner since we all had to miss out on Cafe du Monde :( I am going to attempt to make beignets, even though I have never made them before. Let's hope they turn out ok! Monday--not sure what I'll do yet, but hopefully something fun!

So I'm trying to make the most of this weekend since my plans got canceled. At least I was able to get a flight home for Thanksgiving with my flight credit (some silver lining). I hope everyone down in LA is safe and that Gustav decides to go somewhere else besides New Orleans. Or we could be making another hurricane relief trip soon---preferably not though.

Just a random thought--I had to make my 3rd (yes, 3rd) trip to the DMV yesterday. All so I could change the address on my license and car title. Now, this is never a pleasurable time sitting and waiting for them to call my number just to make a simple change. At least I got to bypass everyone waiting to take exams. Then--I had to take my 3rd picture for my 3rd NC drivers license issued in 2 months haha. At least it's a good pic. So---back to my thought---the whole world shows up at the DMV. People from every race, ethnicity, socioeconomic level, etc. Kind of interesting to see all of these very different people united over one thing---how much we all despise the evil necessity of the DMV. You can always make a friend discussing how ridiculous the wait is, the insanity of re-taking the driving exam, etc. :)

That's all for now :) I hope everyone has a wonderful relaxing Labor Day weekend!

0 comments: