NOLA, here I come

My young adults group at my church will be leaving Thursday early morning to head down to the hot, humid New Orleans for hurricane relief work. I am all packed into one small carry-on to avoid paying $15 to check my bag. I thought this was a miraculous feat...work clothes for 4 days, extra clothes for 4 days, shoes, sheets, towel, toiletries...all in one carry-on!

Not sure what we will be doing exactly in New Orleans. We told them we didn't have a skilled crew (with just 4 men and 9-11 women), so we'll be doing painting, cleaning, and yard work. Good thing because if we tried to hang dry wall or build a house, it might fall down or be crooked! Especially since it takes me 2-3 tries to hang a picture straight on a wall haha. Nonetheless, we will do work and hopefully it will make a difference in the situation 3 years post-Katrina. This Thurs/Friday will be the 3 year anniversary of Katrina. Ironic.

In other news...I am heading up a bone marrow drive at church in memory of a friend and her 2 siblings who all passed away from Leukemia or related complications of treatment. I visited with their mom Sunday afternoon to get her ideas and suggestions. What ever happened to the days of visiting people on Sundays? I don't think I've ever really done this--but it was quite nice. Maybe I should do it again another Sunday afternoon.

Regarding my work situation---I am still WAITING to hear more back from the new opportunity. We'll see what happens. For now I am enjoying my volunteering at the hospital and looking forward to the day when I can do a child life internship and finally switch my career! I'm just buying time working so I can make it until next summer when hopefully I'll be able to do an internship. It works for me because I know this is what I'm supposed to be doing---even though it is taking time, I guess that is teaching me patience :) (in addition to rocking a screaming baby to sleep when babysitting---now that will teach you patience!)

A funny story: Last Friday, while spending time painting and playing games with one little girl whose brother is in the hospital, she asked me, "How old are you?" So I let her know that I was 25. She responded, "Oh, I thought you were 16." Hm...I guess one day this will be a good thing when I'm 40!

0 comments: