Change can be good

So I should probably update everyone on my career situation (for those that haven't heard about all the changes). This actually a very exciting time for me right now. After finishing grad school classes for I/O psych (aka work psych, aka human resources), I still have that pesky thesis pending (no comments needed on this please). This is a thorn in my side I'd rather not discuss (if you want me to be your friend and like you, please do not bring this topic up next time you see me).

While in my most recent interview for a HR job, I just sat there realizing that I would be completely miserable in this type of job. It was almost an epiphany....an "ah-ha" moment. Definitely a God-thing, I feel. I have been working at a recruiting firm in an internship type job since September. This was to help me get on an HR track to get some recruiting experience. While I love my coworkers and what I do here for the most part, it is not my future.

I started talking to friends and others about switching to child life (www.childlife.org). This career track of working with kids in a hospital has always been in the back of my mind (I just chose to ignore it at the time). Well what do you know....my friends have connections :) My friend Jennifer put me in touch with the child life coordinator at Presbyterian Hospital. Well...things just started coming together and I met with a couple of child life professionals at Presby recently to get my questions answered and such.

So all things going as smoothly as possible, I will start volunteering at Hemby Children's at Presby this summer in order to complete 50 hours of volunteer hours. Then, I will be eligible to apply for a child life internship for spring/summer 2009. I am very excited! I'm sure there will be lots more updates and stories to come as I begin this adventure.

In the meantime, I am set to start a new job at another recruiting firm in July. So this will give me a better financial situation for the next year until I can intern and switch to child life. So for right now, things are looking good and I can't complain :)

All this means too that I'll be in Charlotte for at least another 1-2 years, maybe longer (shhh don't tell my family). I keep trying to convince them to move here...but who am I kidding, hell will have to freeze over first before they'll leave the 'boro.

0 comments: